Monastic ensemble includes: the Church of the " Assumption of the Virgin Mary " - built in the early century. XIV, old cells - made during sec. XVIII - XIX, the new cells – built in 1905; this is one of the oldest monasteries in the country.
The legend of the monastery is linked to the discovery of the miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary with baby Jesus; tradition says that a bull with its horns dug in the monastery building site, discovering the miraculous icon; on the other hand, excavations carried out in 1976 revealed evidence of the existence a monastery since the beginning of the second millennium AD.
Etymologically named Hodos Bodrog comes from slavic: hudus - meaning festive, the name of the bull that discovered the icon and Bodrog - the realm between waters, which comes from the names of two neighboring localities, around which the monastery was built.
The monastery and its monks are of Orthodox cult, also being a tourist attraction and a historical monument of national interest.
The inside of the church, is dated from the second half of the XIV (1370) century; Subsequently, it was rebuilt in Baroque style with Byzantine frescoes, which happened in the XVIII century; A noteworthy fact is that the church was built of stone and bricks from the old Roman settlements (as seen by the records carved on the north wall of the church).
A part of the churchs’ paintings date from the XVI – XVII century, but due to bad weather it was worsened, being restored by painters Anastase Demian and Cornel Cenan in 1938 or 1943. In 1968, the painter Eremia Profeta decorated the exterior of the church.