The ”St. John the Baptist Cathedral” is a baroque architectural monument built between 1862-1865 under the supervision of Anton Ziegler. The Mocioni family and the banker Gheorghe Sina were the main financial supporters of this building.
The two towers from the front were hightened in 1904 and have each got a clock on every side. The church has been a cathedral of the Bishopric of Arad until the year of 2009, when the Holy Trinity Cathedral had gained this rank.
Between 1962-1972 Teoctist Arăpașu has been a bishop in Arad, later on Patriarch of the Romanian Orthodox Church.