The building was designed by the architect József Diescher from Pest, partially from the funds of the “Bibici” Foundation (the widow of the tycoon Jacob Bibici donated her entire wealth to support education in Arad). The one-floor building, built in the eclectic style has a main facade with elements of the neoclassical style, an impressive lobby with marble steps and a festive hall with a rich ornamentation.
The Royal Superior Gymnasium opened its doors in 1873, being the alma mater of all the outstanding intellectuals of the city and of the county. Among the famous teachers of the school were found: the academic historian Sándor Marki, the linguist academician Ioan Goldiș, the literary historian D. Panaitescu-Perpessicius, the poet-editor Al. T. Stamatiad, Ascaniu Crișan, Iulian Toader. In the park in front of the school are the busts of the eminent teacher Moise Nicoară (1785-1862) and the Romanian prose writer Ioan Slavici (1848-1925), a former pupil of the school.