Today the castle is owned by the Romanian royal family. The first building was built on that spot between 1650 and 1680. It first belonged to the noble family Nadasdy, then to the Hunyady family and then to the Forray family. On the place of the current building in the eighteenth century there was the castle of the noble family Forray.
On 9 June 1784 the viscount Andras Forray (senior) was kidnapped by outlaws led by Petre Baciu. The county leader was released only after satisfying the claims of the outlaws by the Emperor Joseph II himself. Not long after that, on November the 3rd of 1784, the rebel groups led by Horia, Cloșca and Crișan had arrived there, and they were joined by the serfs, who refused to oppose the rebels.
In the early nineteenth century, the building was renovated in neoclassical style, with this occasion it had been provided with another floor and a beautiful balcony. The castle has undergone many transformations inside and outside over the years. After being confiscated by the communists in 1948, like all the other royal properties, the castle returned in the possession of the Royal House on June 1, 2001. Princess Margaret conducted the activities of restoration of the park and the castle in the same style created in 1943 by the Queen-Mother Elena. The building is surrounded by a park that has a lake and a pier. The arboretum surrounding the castle was established by Viscount Andras Forray, who was the lord of the lands and had possession in the Săvârșin area. This park has an area of 6.5 hectares and contains several rare species of trees and shrubs, declared natural monuments: silver fir, spruce, white pyramid cedar, cypresses, Chinese acacia, Himalayan pine, Turkish hazel, secular oak trees and many others.
The Royal Castle can be visited on request, please call 0743 183 181 for reservations.