The episcopal cathedral from Arad city is dedicated to the „Holy Trinity” and to Saint Nicholas, also construction began in 1991. The building is located in the Podgoria zone.
The cornerstone of the New Episcopal Cathedral, located in busiest intersection from the center of Arad, was put by his Grace dr. Timotei Seviciu, the bishop of Arad, Ienopolei, Halmagiu and Hunedoara, at 24 of november 1991.
58 meters high, the New Episcopal Cathedral has a high resistance structure, because it has a fallout shelter. The imposing building, built in the center of Arad, is covered with Podeni limestone, and the socket and the stairs are made of granite. The chandeliers are made of massive bronze, brought from Tesalonic, and iconostasis was made at a furniture factory from Arad, the massive bells were brought from the prestigious Grass Mayer factory from Innsbruck, Austria, with an over 400 years experience. The structure will have a clock which will be coordinated by satellite. The main cross has a height of over 7,5 meters and an arm with a 3,5 meters wide opening. It is made of a metallic structure, covered with a stainless steel sheet and 24 karat gold gilded. In the cathedral is a silver reliquary, executed in the State Mint, which houses relics of St. John Chrysostom. The relics were received from Vatican.
In order to build the cathedral there were used, among others, 4100 cubic meters of concrete, 600000 kg of reinforcements, 2200 cubic meters of masonry, 3500 cubic meters of copper roofing, 1300 cubic meters of marble tiles and 1600 cubic meters of granite tiles. The cathedral has a length of 58 meters and a width of 36 meters, having a internal volume of 32000 cubic meters.Its capacity is over 2000 seats.
The works of building the „new cathedral”, phrase that was preserved in all these years and will remain (as for parish Parneava church, subsequently became Arad-Centre, is referred Old Cathedral), properly began in the 1992 with soil settlements and its strengthening. The next step was the pouring foundations and the completion mat and the zero quota where it start the church itself. A matter of tehnical ingenuity was high by the action of diversion of „Muresel” channel, who crossing the area.
These works carried throughout the years 1992-1995, and those that follow have been permanently woven with the consolidation activity of „the living church”, meaning to sensitize the believers for the new place of worship.
The next years will be registered on their tally, step by step, the crossed road to complete the works of the construction in red: the completion resistance structure, the permanent closure by brick, the completion of works on the roof. The cathedral spiers are seen from far from the city entrance, wherever you came from.